Weaving World

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Weaving World

A place to talk about everything involving any kind of weaving!

2 posters

sjsherrod

new member Empty new member

Post  sjsherrod Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:36 pm

flower
    Hi, my name is Shirley and I am currently in Costa Rica, having just finished up a Spanish speaking class in Guatemala in preparation for our time in Panama as a Peace Corps volunteer. I am hoping to continue my weaving while there and am looking into possibilities. I currently have a 32" Kromski rigid heddle that I am hoping to take with and a LeClerc 16" Voyageur 8shaft that I wish I could take (too heavy). Am looking for for plans for a floor loom so that I can build one while there to use. I plan to start a weaving group in the village that I am going to be assigned to, if possible.
    I look forward to reading the anticipated many postings.
    Shirley
    tundrakatiebean
    tundrakatiebean

new member Empty Re: new member

Post  tundrakatiebean Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:09 am

Hello Shirley! Welcome to the forum!

How exciting that you get to go to Guatemala Very Happy I think it's great that you want to start a weaving group there. I think it would be a great chance to learn about some of the native weaving too!
    sjsherrod

Post  sjsherrod Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:48 pm

flower
    Thanks for the warm welcome.
    Yes, the native weaving in Guatemala is very interesting. Most is done on a backstrap loom with the skirt fabric being done on very ancient floor looms - something like you would see in the late 19th century. I did a lot of observing when I was done here before and I learned to weave on a backstrap loom 9 years ago and have been hooked ever since. I haven't been able to find much on weaving in Panama, where we are going to be for 29months so this is why I bought some backstrap looms to take with me. I also got a few patterns for kids but any cross-stitch or easy needlework pattern would work.
    Am now in Costa Rica for a week, then home to the US
    Shirley

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content